Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day 7: The Longest Day Of My Life





Its amazing the way a 6.5 pound creature can change your life. I am not one to be idle, ever, but there is nothing more that I want to do now than sit next to this little guy all day, everyday. My breathing stops with his, my eyes swell with every fuss he makes, my mouth smiles every time his little eyes open and look in mine. He is the only thing I have ever came across that I can not fix, and I would give up everything in the world to be able to. We got a call around noonish today that Frankie wasn't doing good. His heart beat and breathing were up and he wasn't feeding good. By the time we got up here at 3, it had gotten worse. They look for a heart beat around 140 BPM and he was closer to 180-190 and at one time it rose to 210. His breaths per minute should be around 40 and they were 90 plus, at times reaching 110-120. His face was swollen and he was fussy. They ran all kinds of tests on him, but most came back negative. They put him on a strong supply of Oxygen. Alex and I felt that it was an allergic reaction to the silvadene (burn cream) they started applying to the omphalocele last night. Per our requests, the surgeons came up and redressed the omphalocele without the cream. Later the heart echo came back and they think he has Pulmonary Hypertension. They described it to us as a valve in the heart that is closed while he is the womb and blocks the blood from the lungs as it doesn't need to absorb oxygen. When he is born, that valve opens. They say his has shut some. His breaths are very short and shallow. Like that you would get with a panic attack. To top that, he got a fever of over 101. By the time I am writing this, 12:45 am (and we are people who are normally in bed at 9:30 at night), his fever has broke, the swelling has gone down some, his heart beats have dropped to 165 BPM, and his breaths have deepened some but nothing too much. I wasn't expecting any of this. He was supposed to be my little healthy guy with a cosmetic defect. They stopped feeding him until they get this under control. He gets all the nutrients he needs via IV right now. He is starting to wake up now and is getting fussy. Sorry this one isn't very uplifting. I just feel like everything is out of my control. I have never been a very spiritual man, but please pray for my Frankie as he may be dating your daughter one day. P.S. To get a guesstimate timeline of recovery for the boy, check out the following link....

http://nmsutter.homestead.com/zacksomphalocele.html

No comments:

Post a Comment