Saturday, April 23, 2011

The most frightening call I have ever received.

April 11th 2011: 16 weeks pregnant- 5:30 pm- As Joe and I were driving to get dinner after taking a look at some nursery furniture at a few different stores, I receive a call from Dr. Smith. I was confused when I saw that she was calling. I thought maybe I had missed an appointment (we were going bi-weekly). Dr. Smith went on to tell me that the ultrasound tech from Expectations Ultrasound suspected that there was something wrong with Frankie's belly. She assumed the woman was correct since she had been doing it for many years, but obviously wanted to take a look for herself to check on the little guy. She told me the two most common problems were Gastroschisis and Omphalocele. Gastroschisis is a birth defect in which an infant's intestines stick out of the body through a defect on one side of the umbilical cord. An omphalocele is a birth defect in which the infant's intestine or other abdominal organs stick out of the belly button (navel). In babies with an omphalocele, the intestines are covered only by a thin layer of tissue and can be easily seen. An omphalocele is a type of hernia. She then told me she must see me tomorrow at 3:30 for an ultrasound to verify which of the two it was. After doing research that night we prayed and hoped it wasn't Omphalocele because it is usually accompanied by fatal syndromes or disorders. It isn't always, but it more likely. Waiting until 3:30 on Tuesday would take an eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment